I thought I wouldn’t make it there:
Here’s a glass is half empty whining, seeking empathy recap:
- Drove to JFK, pouring so hard traffic would periodically come to a stop on the expressway
- JetBlue flight was packed, with warm air blowing like a convection oven at about the halfway mark
- Two kids, about 3 and 4 years old, screaming, fighting and crying for 6 hours directly behind me, parents oblivious or helpless
- Two people next to me became fast friends, speaking so loud for 6 hours straight, I couldn’t tune them out with my iPod. I now know their mortgages, financials, plans to divorce, how they met their spouses in intimate detail
- My tv screen went black halfway into the flight
- Room wasn’t ready for 2 hours at the hotel
- Apple store across the street ran out of iPhones 20 minutes before I got there, and were surprisingly rude
Here’s a glass is half full, glad to be here in San Francisco summary:
- But I made it, alive
- 65 degrees, sunny (perfect)
- Met a ton of old friends, long time online friends finally in person
- Brad Inman can still put on a show
- Chief Economist at BofA main session gave great, forthright overview
- Listened to Craig Newmark – quirky and endearing, “Constitution gets used again after the election” discussion (plus, as an added bonus, Craigslist discussion)
- Hung out with Dustin Luther, saw his terrific presentation at the main conference
- Winced at hyperinflation talk (1000%, 20 years, without factoring in corrective market forces) but otherwise loved the bull vs bear discussion, and at the end decided I didn’t need to jump off the Golden Gate
- Couldn’t twitter during the conference, no ATT reception on the main conference and didn’t realize how simple the wireless password was. duh!
- Went to the Trulia BBQ – on the trolley and spoke at length with the Marker Man who had to turn sideways to fit – best (only) meatballs I have ever had in SF
- Had dinner with some of the smartest econ bloggers out there – UrbanDigs, Naked Capitalism, Calculated Risk and their better halfs
- Realized it was about 2:30 am EST and had to end the evening without going to the Curbed party (I know, serious wimp)
Going to cook some more today.
Had a great time Jonathan! Good to see you and thanks for coming out for dinner!